Saturday, December 31, 2016

A Word For The New Year



So, my honey and I have a tradition of picking a word that we want to define our upcoming year. It's not a resolution or a goal or the kind of thing you pin your hopes on that then inevitably falters and makes you feel like you're not even good at being you, much less anything else. It's just a word that puts a few syllables to the scattered pieces of our lives and tugs them all in the same direction. Last year my word was "expansion"--I wanted to try some new things and see some new places. And I totally did! The RT Conference, Cambodia, rapid fire coauthoring, hell yeah--WIN!!!

Wait, you say, but that's so lazy, it means next to nothing when you can just shoehorn any accomplishments into--

SHUT IT! I WIN!!!

For 2017, I've decided to use the word "agency," in the sense of the second definition of the word according to Merriam Webster:

Definition of agency

plural 

agencies



  1. 2:  the capacity, condition, or state of acting or of exerting power 

I want some more power over my life, my work, and my own capacity. I wrote 100k words in November, way outpacing any of my previous productivity. I want that more often--not necessarily that huge, but 50k a month? Why not? 

So, agency is my word. That's as detailed as I want to get looking forward to a new year, because on a macro level I can't imagine that 2017 will be much brighter than 2016 was, so I've got to settle in for the long haul and try to keep the faith. Write, fight, and love on. That's what me and my sense of agency are shooting for.

Happy New Year, darlins. I'll be right here with you.

1 comment:

  1. that's a great idea... and wonderful news for your readers ;D all the best for 2017!!

    ReplyDelete