Friday, January 4, 2013

I'm Not Evil!

Hi guys

So, remember when I released The Solstice Gift last month?  No?  Yeah?  Maybe a blurb will refresh your memory.

Dis is a changeling, a human stolen away from his own world as a child by the vicious winter fae. He's survived to adulthood through a combination of luck and careful oversight by his only ally, a fairy lord named Marten, but his success might have finally reached its end.

It's the winter solstice, and Oberon's court is preparing for a hunt with a history of bloodshed, one that requires Dis to be an unwilling participant. Even if Dis lives through that, he's being watched by the king of the fae himself, and no one can save him if Oberon has marked him for sacrifice.


Yes, bad times for my changeling hero, but.  I thought I ended the story on a hopeful note, relatively speaking.  A couple of reviewers didn't really see it that way.  Their reactions, while very valid, surprised me, and I thought I'd share them for your edification.

Serena at Rainbow Reviews said:

The author manages to paint the picture of a landscape and behaviors as bleak as they are cruel really well. From the environment to the storyline, I have to say this story is as fascinating as it is bittersweet. And as much as this is not my thing personally, I suspect that lots of people will like this short book. If you’re looking for burning passion that seems even hotter because it is set against the darkness of a cruel group of fae that have no respect for anyone who isn't part of their society, and if you prefer your stories with a touch of horror and cruelty, you will probably like this short book.

And Pixie for m/mbookreviews said:

Before we go any further I just need to do this… ‘aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh’ okay that’s out of my system.

There is much of this story that pulls you in and I will be honest the ending had me growling in frustration and spitting feathers, I nearly gave this book 2 Hearts because it ended so abruptly but I have since calmed down enough to give it a reasonable rating based on the storyline. There has to be a sequel in the pipeline for this book *on knees begging* because I need to know what happens next pppllllleeeeeaaaaassssseeeee.

I will recommend this to those who love Fae, finding love in a bleak harsh landscapes, a hard unfair life and a very bittersweet ending.
    

These are just excerpts from the reviews.  Both people used the word "cruel" several times, and both of them seemed to enjoy the book but find it a downer as well.  Folks, let me take a moment to assure you:  I'm not evil.  I'm not!  While there is an established place in literature for tragedy, I tend to like happy endings!  I would have made this one more pointed except that a condition of writing for this call from Total E-Bound was writing another story for the Summer Fae collection coming out in June, which I've done.  It's a definite sequel, wraps everything up nicely and will leave you without the taste of blood in your mouth.

I bring this up for two reasons: one, I really appreciated the reviews because they pointed out something about my story that I hadn't really considered, and two, I wanted any potential readers not to be afraid of being let down by the plot.  There's resolution, and there will be even more of it coming down the pipe, so...don't be afraid.  Try it out!


More Paradise soon, and then I'll talk to you about the next serial starting up on the blog.  I've been challenged to do something that, astonishingly, doesn't take place in space.  I accept your challenge, madame!

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it can be very interesting how readers see the stories you write when they come up with something completely different than you intended or they make a big deal out of part of the plot you didn't realize was that major. I guess that's what comments are for- if you can back and change things. Obviously with a published piece you can't. Just go with the flow and don't let them hurt your feelings. You are't evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's interesting too. I appreciate you agreeing with me about the evil thing as well:) I hope your year has started splendidly.

      Delete
  2. yes. I agree with pixie. I don't see it as dark as the first but it was pretty dark. however, dark is not evil. :) I'm glad that they is one coming for summer solstice because I, too, went 'NOOOOOOOOOOOO' when I got to the end.

    I still would call it a great story and your timing is like your Paradise story on your blog: very good cliffhangers. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the props, Kim, and for picking it up to read! I think you'll like the sequel, it answers a lot of questions and should leave everyone involved satisfied.

      Cari:)

      Delete